Tuesday, September 26, 2006

She Brought You Into This World... - Vol. 2

I woke up with a blazing headache. I tried to open my eyes, but the lids were heavy and I started to swim in and out of consciousness.

Between the quiet depths of sleep, I could hear crying.

Always crying.

When I finally managed to bring myself out of it, I found myself tied up, laying on the cold rock of a cellar.

The slowly expanding pool of crimson beneath me did nothing to calm my nerves.

Pathfinder was sitting against the far wall, curled into the fetal position. His body looked none the worse for wear, but his eyes told a different story.

His eyes were... broken.

The usual glaze of stupidity that had always clouded Pathfinder's eyes was gone. Now, there was only stark, terrible understanding.

GoblinSmithy>> Pathfinder...
GoblinSmithy>> Pathfinder?
GoblinSmithy>> Dammit, man! Wake up!
GoblinPathfinder>> ... Mommy's mad.


There was something in that voice. Something I didn't like.

I had to get him back and quickly.

GoblinSmithy>> Pathfinder, snap out of it.
GoblinSmithy>> We need to get free.
GoblinPathfinder>> Uh uh.
GoblinPathfinder>> Mommy said no.

That's when I noticed something odd.

He wasn't tied up.

GoblinSmithy>> What the hell are you doing?
GoblinSmithy>> Get over here and untie me.
GoblinPathfinder>> I... I can't.
GoblinSmithy>> DAMMIT, YOU MORON!
GoblinSmithy>> GET OVER HERE!
GoblinPathfinder>> Sssshhhhhhh.
GoblinPathfinder>> You'll wake her.

Suddenly, there came the sound of footsteps from above us.

Mommy was up.

Yay.

Pathfinder started to shake and a pool began to form beneath him. I started to wonder if maybe he'd been hurt and I hadn't noticed. Then the smell hit me.

He had wet himself.

Yeah... I'm soooo glad we decided to hide here.

A door opened and then I heard footsteps descending the stairs. Angry footsteps.

I was just trying to pivot my body on the floor when a foot came down hard against the side of my head.

MrsPathfinder>> You're the one.
MrsPathfinder>> You're the one what took my boy away.
GoblinSmithy>> I took the what now?
GoblinSmithy>> I didn't take your boy.
MrsPathfinder>> You taught him to run off and adventure.
GoblinSmithy>> That was so not me.
GoblinSmithy>> Most of the time, I'm telling him to go the hell home.
MrsPathfinder>> LIAR!
MrsPathfinder>> LIAR! LIAR! LIAR!

She punctuated every word with a sharp kick to my head. I could feel the darkness trying to slide back in across my eyes, but I fought it off.

If I passed out, I was likely not going to wake up.

Hmm... Maybe I should try to be subtle with her.

GoblinSmithy>> Listen, Bitch...

Or not.

You know, whatever.

GoblinSmithy>> I didn't teach your boy anything.
GoblinSmithy>> I don't even like him.
GoblinSmithy>> But maybe he had a reason to run away.
GoblinSmithy>> Maybe it was... Hmmm... I don't know...
GoblinSmithy>> The fact that you're freakin' insane.

Do you know what hurts? Getting kicked in the face.

That hurts.

MrsPathfinder>> NO!
MrsPathfinder>> You made him do it!
MrsPathfinder>> You made him leave me!
GoblinSmithy>> I didn't do shit, lady.
GoblinSmithy>> He ran away.
GoblinSmithy>> Apparently, he's not as retarded as I thought.
MrsPathfinder>> Don't you say that.
GoblinSmithy>> He's happy.
GoblinSmithy>> He has friends.
GoblinSmithy>> Not me... But that bee of his seems nice.
MrsPathfinder>> The bee!
MrsPathfinder>> THE BEE!!!
MrsPathfinder>> I'm going to kill that little bastard!
GoblinSmithy>> Yeah... That's been done.
GoblinSmithy>> A lot.
MrsPathfinder>> I'm going to squash him like... like...
GoblinSmithy>> A bug?
MrsPathfinder>> SHUT UP!
GoblinSmithy>> Somebody's getting cranky.

She started kicking me again. Again and again and again.

I was futilely trying to roll away from her when I looked up into her eyes. They were burning, burning with insane rage.

Then...

Then there was a loud clang followed by a sharp metallic thud. Her eyes went blazing to blank in one instant.

And there behind her was Pathfinder. He was holding a large, metal pipe that was slick with fresh blood.

He had saved me. He had risked his life to save me.

GoblinPathfinder>> No one is going to hurt Mr. Beeington.

Okay...

He had inadvertantly saved me.

Doesn't matter to me. As long as I'm still breathing, it's all cool with me.

We didn't talk. He came over and untied me and then quietly walked upstairs. He walked as a man who had dropped a heavy burden that he had carried for years.

Watching him go up those stairs, I didn't hate Pathfinder in that moment.

He lead the way out of this darkness.

And I followed.

Well... I stopped long enough to kick the bitch's teeth in. That was nice.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely tale, even better storytelling, looking forward to your further exploits, Smitty.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Carrin said...

You know, if you were to drop a bomb next to her on your way out...

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did pathfinder even bother to tell her we got married i neevr saw her at the wedding and woudnered why. But on the other hand I wanna kill her myself. OH LOOK A PATH! *points off to teh side and wounders off*

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Comedy takes a dramatic twist.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe. Nice one.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone has some issues

4:05 PM  
Blogger Goblin Smithy said...

Dear Komidol,

I have no idea what you just said.

Yours truly,
GoblinSmithy

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching him go up those stairs, I didn't hate Pathfinder in that moment.

Smithy, you're going soft on us now. Pathfinder must be hated at all times. Don't let your hate down near pathfinder.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home